Michigan State University (MSU) is a public research university located in East Lansing, Michigan, United States. And The inGEAR (Internship in Global Engineering & Advanced Research) program at Michigan State University offers summer research opportunities for high achieving undergraduates from international institutions. Funding is provided by the MSU College of Engineering, the MSU International Studies Program, and faculty mentors.
inGEAR is an “internship in graduate school” and provides participants with an early opportunity to become involved in research by working with faculty mentors in one of eight Engineering department:
- Computer Engineering/IT • Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering • Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering
- Computational Mathematics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Materials Sciences
Who can apply: As part of inGEAR, you will work full-time on a substantive, faculty-guided research project and participate in professional development activities, including attending weekly seminars and completing periodic writing assignments. Due to the intensive nature of this program, it is expected that you will not enroll in summer coursework or accept other employment during the work week. You must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in an Engineering discipline, including Computer Science, at an institution outside the United States or Puerto Rico.
- You must be enrolled in a four-year bachelors degree program, or in a combined bachelors+masters program. (Applicants from 3-year undergraduate programs are NOT eligible unless they are pursuing a bachelors+masters program, such as a BS+MS or B.Tech+M.Tech).
- You must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, or at least 7.0 on a 10.0 scale.
- You must plan to pursue a PhD or MS+PhD in the United States beginning in Fall 2017 and must plan to complete your undergraduate degree by August 1, 2017.
- You must be available to participate in the entire 10-week program on the MSU campus, arriving on Monday, May 23, 2016 and departing on Sunday, July 31, 2016. No alternative schedules can be accommodated.
- You must be eligible to apply for an appropriate visa to allow travel to/from the USA.
- If selected for inGEAR, you must agree to pay all of their own travel expenses to/from the MSU campus.
Location: Michigan State University.
Duration: 10 weeks (May 23 – July 31, 2015).
Stipend: As part of inGEAR, you will receive on-campus housing and three meals per day. All other expenses are the your responsibility, including travel to/from East Lansing, MI, USA. inGEAR participants are required to submit a graduate application to the MSU College of Engineering for a MS or PhD program beginning in Fall 2017; inGEAR participants will receive a waiver of the $50 graduate application fee.
For more details on this internship, visit inGEAR – Michigan State University’s page.
Your applications should reach them latest by January 15, 2016.
Over to you: Please help us and others by sharing this post with your friends/groups who may find it useful. If you know anyone who would be interested, tag them here in the comments/share this post with them.
Make sure that you do not miss a single internship. Subscribe to EduInfo and get internships delivered to your inbox.
You are also invited to join our group on Facebook.