UTRIP stands for the “University of Tokyo Research Internship Program”. This program was launched by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo (one of the world’s leading research-education universities) as part of its campaign begun in June 2010 for promoting the internationalization of the GSS by inviting talented young students from abroad. UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an MS or PhD degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s six departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, biophysics & biochemistry, and biological sciences.
Who can apply:
- Be enrolled in and, after the UTRIP program ends, be expected to return to, at least another semester, quarter, or another equivalent academic term, in a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan.
- Be enrolled in the natural science or other relevant fields.
- However, at selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants in their junior (third) of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program (BE/B.Tech) or in the second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program (B.Sc).
- 2nd year students are also encouraged to apply.
Research Areas: Physics, Astronomy, Earth & Planetary Sciences, Chemistry, Biophysics & Biochemistry, and Biological Sciences.
Location: The University of Tokyo, Japan.
Duration: 6 weeks (2 batches; June 9, 2017-July 20, 2017 and June 28, 2017-August 8, 2017).
Stipend: The UTRIP participants will be granted financial support to cover their costs and expenses in the form of The Graduate School of Science (GSS) Scholarship for UTRIP-Related Expenses (“GSS-UTRIP Scholarship”):
- A stipend of JPY 60,000 yen. This stipend will be provided to cover some personal expenses such as travel expenses in Japan (transportation fees between Narita (or Haneda) Airport and TODAI, or visa-application fee (if needed), etc.
- Housing: Housing will be provided for the duration of the stay for up to 43 days (six weeks) with some limitation. If a student wishes to extend his or her period of stay beyond the research project period of six weeks, the student will have to pay the accommodation fee for the extended period.
- Funding for travel: The funding will in no circumstances exceed JPY 100,000. When the transport expense is paid in a currency other than JPY, it will be converted to JPY at the exchange rate announced by UTokyo. Reimbursement of airfares and payment of the stipend will be made only upon the student’s arrival at UTokyo.
The last date to apply this year is February 2, 2017.
For more details and to apply, visit The University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP)’s page.
Over to you: Please help us and others by sharing this post with your friends/groups who may find it useful. If you know anyone who would be interested, tag them here in the comments/share this post with them.
Best wishes from EduInfo.
Make sure that you do not miss a single internship. Subscribe to EduInfo and get internships delivered to your inbox.
You are also invited to join our group on Facebook.