Mitacs Globalink’s research internship is a sure shot way of getting an international internship (in Canada). Each year, interns from nine countries come to Canada for 12 weeks from May to September to undertake research projects at Canadian universities. The objective of the Globalink Research Internship is to build a bridge between Canada and emerging international research talent at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
See Also: 1. Viterbi-India Program
Who can apply: You can apply for this Mitacs Globalink research internship program if you satisfy these requirements:
- Be enrolled as a pre-final year student in an undergraduate (3rd year in case of 4 year BE/B.Tech programs and 2nd year in case of 3 year B.Sc/BS/B.Com/BA/BBA etc. degrees) or a dual-degree granting program at an accredited and eligible university. Official partner countries are India, Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Ukraine.
- Final year and second year BE/B.Tech undergraduates and Master/PhD students can not apply. You must have a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 3 semesters of undergraduate coursework remaining after you participate in your internship in order to be eligible. For example, if you are successful in receiving an internship for the summer of 2018, you will need to complete at least one more semester of undergraduate or joint undergraduate/Master’s coursework in 2018 and have no more than three semesters remaining.
- You need to have a minimum of 8/10 GPA or a first class.
Streams: More than 2700 projects in Engineering, Science, Management, Social Sciences, Medicine etc. You can check the projects and apply for Mitacs Globalink here.
Instructions: The application process of Mitacs Globalink research internship is different from other internships program and is indeed better. On the Mitacs internship portal, all the projects that are open this year have been listed. But before you apply, here are some tips that might help you:
- Mitacs Globalink Internship Program is open to many streams/disciplines from Engineering, Science to Social Sciences, Business etc. and many projects are interdisciplinary. Some projects may require interns from various disciplines and academic departments. For example, a professor in the health sciences may be looking for a student with a computer science background to assist with a data project. To ensure you are viewing all the projects that may apply to you, do multiple keyword searches. You must ensure that your background is relevant to the research topic and skills/experience requested by the professor.
- You must apply for a minimum of three and a maximum of seven projects in at least three Canadian provinces (excluding Prince Edward Island).
- You can edit your applications till September 18, 2017. The applications will be submitted only after the deadline is over.
- You are required to submit one reference letter with your resume/CV and marksheets (transcripts). This reference letter can be written only by someone who has worked with you, not by a university staff professor.
- Language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS marksheets etc.) is not necessary. But you must have strong working knowledge of the project’s language, which will be listed in the project database.
- Apply for a passport ASAP. If you do not have a valid passport or your passport is not valid until January 2019, you will be required to provide a copy of a valid passport by December 2017.
Criteria of Selection: Applications are assessed based on a number of factors, including your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA), the quality of your statement of interest provided, the quality of the reference, and how well your research interests and experience match the research focus of the project or professor.
Locations: Various host universities in Canada.
Duration: 12 weeks in summer 2018.
Stipend: These are fully funded internships. You will get a stipend enough to cover your airfare, accommodation, VISA and other expenses.
Here is a link to Mitacs Globalink’s website.
For more details on this internship, also go through this brochure.
You are also advised to go through these FAQs.
The last date to apply this year is September 18, 2017.
Internship stories: You can read the internship stories of students who have interned through Mitacs Globalink on their official website here. In addition also check these experiences of Mitacs Globalink interns:
Over to you: Please help us and others by sharing this post with your friends/groups who may find it useful. If you know anyone who would be interested, tag them here in the comments/share this post with them.
Best wishes from EduInfo.
Make sure that you do not miss a single internship. Subscribe to EduInfo and get internships delivered to your inbox.
You are also invited to join our group on Facebook.